Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Final Days









These are going to be the final days of my project for this class. The garden itself will continue to grow and hopefully be fruitful, however, i will have to continue growing it after this project is finished. As I've been busy with senior things, I've asked my mom to sometimes water the plants for me. One day I came home and the marigolds and soybeans were practically broken over. I told my mom thanks for watering them, but what happened? Don't kill my project! She said that they like that. I don't really know her reasoning or proof exactly for this, but she said that the roots grow stronger with a little roughness. I can see how this makes sense, however I just want to be cautious and make sure they grow back before knocking them over again. The spinach plants are starting to grow leaves that look like the actual stuff we eat! I was really inspired today by our local food party where Mrs. Lathrop brought in stuff from her and her neighbors garden. maybe if my garden grows more, i can join in her neighborhood gardening and local foods! I liked how she was actually eating what she grew! Lettuce that looked exactly what we buy from the store was on the table with salad dressing! It's amazing the connection we can really have with our food when if we buy it from the store, it seems like the companies HAVE to grow it, and that we have to buy it. They make it so simple for use that it seems so hard for them, and that we should appreciate the companies when really, we have the skills and opportunities to do it ourselves. Here are some pictures from our party today, and from my garden as of today. I haven't had to fertilize since the first day proving to me that they can grow with all the fertilization I have already provided. hawaii's weather is perfect conditions as long as the water is coming in. I turn my pots around periodically to make sure each plant is getting enough water. However, Ive noticed that the rosemary has yet to sprout. :( This is depressing since my other plants are thriving! I'm wondering if the seeds got picked out? Drowned? etc...but i do know that the seed's company is foreign, or from the mainland. It looks like a company that is experienced in the mainland...They are from Kentucky...Whereas the other seeds come from a local company. The organic basil comes from the same mainland company though...mayeb its the fact that its organic? Maybe I didn't put enough seeds int he soil? I have no clue...maybe I'll try re-planting some more rosemary...I love rosemary, and its so useful, that its worth a second try. :) I've loved watching it all grow, and having this experience where i feel so accomplished!

No comments:

Post a Comment