Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Progress

















I set up my mini garden yesterday, labeled each pot, and watered. I put two plants in each, planting seeds in various places in the bin, but each different plant/herb is separated. The soil I used is made from Kellogg. It is called Big R potting mix. The fertilizer I used is from the Gaviota brand. To fill 3 bins, I used two bags that each fill 1 cubic foot.
Half of my seeds come from the Aina Ola Seed company. I chose this because it's a local brand. These are the soy beans, onions, and spinach. I wonder if the local seeds will grow better/faster than the mainland companies. I also chose local because they could possibly do better in Hawaii, because this company knows our climate and biodiversity better. The basil I chose is "organic" made by the Ferry Morse brand, "the hand that seeds the world", it says.This one is USDA organic, which may be why it was also almost a dollar more expensive than the other seed packages. The package says organic about three times, and is "guaranteed to grow". I wonder if this is just marketing methods because organic is what customers look for...? The Rosemary seeds are by the Ferry-Morse brand as well, but from their Start Smart line. I think that it is also cheaper because it is not classified as organic. We shall see which ones actually grow!

No comments:

Post a Comment