Tuesday, May 5, 2009

My first post

Hello,
This entry marks the first of my Am Lit Nature final project. I have decided to make a small garden/ potted plants to start with so that I can be a bit more sustainable, and use what I have grown. This garden will be very useful to my family because my mom loves to cook with basil, and various herbs. However, with the amount that we buy for cooking, I think that it would be a good idea to grow our own, that way we won't have to make trips to the store. Therefore, I am planning on growing basil, rosemary, green beans, marigolds, and roses.
I hope to learn from this project about the effort and care it takes to actually grow something that we eat. I want to explore each step, beginning with preparation and then maintaining it. This experiment will also hopefully reduce my carbon footprint. I have been studying in economics how much CO2 humans give out all the time. The effects are great, and are continuing to increase.
I will be exploring the difference between growing plants in general, and especially in Hawaii. Some of my resources revolve around this topic as well.
Like Thoreau, living off of the land will be something I am touching on. It is definetly hard work so start a garden from scratch. My plans are to start slow by planting the seeds in pots where the soil is richer than my yard's.
I am planning on using this blog like a journal like McCandless used. I hope to log my efforts like I will be doing in my CPB. This will help me keep track of how I feel or what I have realized while planting my garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment